Ice Fishing Walleyes


Fishing Walleyes Through the Ice

Minnesota Walleye fishing has always been a staple here in our great state because we are known for some of the best lakes to target walleyes, like Red Lake and Mille Lacs Lake. My favorite time for targeting walleye in Minnesota is through the ice. Around mid-December, I decide to usually take my first trip up to red lake for the year to start my ice fishing season. Around this time Red Lake has just got enough ice to use four-wheelers to get around so it makes it a lot easier to target these wonderful golden fish. My main tactic for fishing these walleyes through the ice is to use two rods, one as a dead stick with a rainbow minnow on it and the other jigging with a small spoon tipped with a minnow head. I have learned that throughout the years one day can be very different from the next when it comes to walleye fishing. One morning they will love the dead stick and won't hit your jigging line at all, but the next day it's possible that it's the exact opposite so the first thing you should do is utilize Minnesota's two-rod law to your benefit. The next tip I have for you is to stay mobile. A lot of times I will find a spot and mark fish but just can't seem to get them to bite, but I don't spend long there I pack up and move across the lake to get on a pod of fish that is active and hungry, and you would be surprised just how worth it, it can be to pack up and move sometimes. 
     

This Walleye was one of my personal best caught on Red Lake. This fish was caught in December of 2021, I caught this beauty through the ice on a dead stick bobber rod with a fat head minnow, in about eleven feet of water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Infographic on Minnesota Fish Species